Stark Industries is a fanfiction community devoted to Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, and the other characters from his comics, movie and animation in any genre of fic.
Discussion, art, recs, resource links and other fanworks are also welcome.
I'm Grey Bard, I'll be your mod for this comm, and I only have two rules. The rest are more in the way of suggestions.
Even Tony Stark can't run Stark Industries without help, so if you have a question, comment or brilliant idea please head on over to the Suggestion Box post or email me.
- Be excellent to each other. Disagreements are natural, but no one wants a troll.
- This is not a Captain America / Iron Man slash community. I love Steve/Tony, but there are already two comms devoted to that, so more would just be silly. If this pairing, as a romantic relationship, is the primary focus of your post, please don't post it here. (*See below for details.)
Fanwork Content and Rating Policy
This is a new policy here, but apparently now necessary. NC 17 fanworks are fine. You can post them as long as you rate or warn appropriately.
Right now I'd like this to be an all inclusive comm with fics for people of all ages and visible to people who don't have a livejournal account.
This is only so long as we don't have reports of naughty underage children reading things that are rated too old for them.
If you're too young to watch a movie of a fic's rating, please don't read the fic.
When posting to this community and putting content behind a link or cut tag, please put some kind of notice - in the subject line, in the header, in the body of the post outside the cut, I don't care where, somewhere - of what sort of thing you put under the cut. Mark it fic, discussion, art, fan vids or whatever else it is for the convenience of your fellow comm-members.
Ideally, it would be awesome if you also gave more information - pairing, genre, rating, spoilers, but the only things that you absolutely must notify people of, outside of the cut tag, are what it is (fic, discussion, art, fan vids etc) and a warning if it is Not Safe For Work.
If your post contains nudity or explicit sexual content or anything else NSFW, warn outside of the link or cuttag. No one wants SURPRISE!porn.
Suggestions from the mod
- If someone were to post something directly to Stark Industries that could get the comm flagged or shut down by Livejournal, they would be very silly to do so outside of friends-lock, wouldn't they?
- If someone were to read something rated too high for them to watch in a movie theater, and then run and tell us about it, I would have to restrict membership. And that would be sad!
- Cut tags are your friend.
- Crossposting is totally okay.
- Reposting older fics that have never been on this community before is not only okay, it's positively encouraged!
- If you would like to beta read Iron Man fanfiction, or you would like to find people who might beta read your fic, allow me to suggest the beta reader volunteer post.
If you have or know of an Iron Man related comm or archive you wish to link or announce, do so in the announcement post. If you have something that is extremely time-limited, like an upcoming fic challenge, which you would like other members to know about, please PM me and I'll consider it.
If you are interested in being kept informed of what has been added or linked in the comments of either of these posts, click on the thumbtack icon at the head of the post in question.
- Please don't spoil Iron Man 2 until July 1, 2010 (due to the lateness of the Japanese release) or a comic less than a month old by posting something outside a cut tag, or by failing to warn people clicking on the cut tag that you're going to be discussing these spoilery topics. Yes, spoilery icons count.
Spoiling, in the case of the movie, consists of anything people would not know from reading Iron Man comics or seeing any of the movie trailers or official websites. The existence of, say, James Rhodes is not a spoiler.
- People like to know what they're clicking on the cut tag of. Author, title and pairing or character, as well as what kind of post it is, is a good place to start.
- It's great when people tag their posts. It makes things easier to find. Stark Industries has tag categories for Rating, Genre, Pairing or Character, and Type of Post. Yes, Mixed and Surprise! are valid tags. Also, if you want, you may tag your posts with your name.
- If you're posting something multi-part, linking where your readers can find the other parts is very convenient for them.
- If making multiple posts at once, please consider combining them so as not to spam your readers.
- Robert Downey Jr. is not an Iron Man character, he is a real person. Therefore, if you would like to post fic or discussion that is about him or any other actor and not about an Iron Man character or performance, please post it elsewhere. This is not because the mod doesn't like Robert Downey Jr.! But that is not what this comm is about.
If you still want more post, tag, and heading formatting suggestions
Feel free to ignore that little exercise in hideous detail my part unless you have burning questions on the subject.
*FAQ about the Captain America and Iron Man THING
To clarify, Steve Rogers can totally appear in your fic. He's a very important part of Tony's life, so it would be silly if he couldn't. Their friendship can even be the focus of your fic.
If you wanted, you could even post a fic about something else with a minor Steve/Tony romantic subplot. If you had a fic about something else that was set in a series where there was Steve/Tony going on in other fics, you could post that fic here and link to the other (off community) fics for context. But it can't be the focus of a fic posted to Stark Industries because that's what the other comms are for. If you're not sure if your fic qualifies, just ask! It isn't a big deal.